Saturday 18 August 2012

The Future of Music Instruction: On line Lessons


I'd like to start by saying that this post is long overdueOver the past few years, I have found a new way of connecting to persons that eliminated a great number of of the complications we've faced by time and space-on the net virtual conferencing. Let me share my story:

My field of expertise, which is vocal instruction, demands that I make myself readily accessible and out there for the requires of students striving for perfection. Most vocal coaches, or coaches of any kind for that matter, set up shop in a teaching studio, music store, or even a corner office of their house. Yes, this consists of myself as nicely. The soon after-launch protocol ordinarily consists of posting advertisements, listing the "teaching" small business in the neighborhood telephone book, and making neighborhood appearances, all for the sole purpose of driving attention to the teaching small business. Local music instruction is an particularly valuable service for the surrounding ten-20 mile radius. But what if there had been a way to expand your small business to cover 57 million square miles (roughly the quantity of land mass of the earth) all within the comfort of your own house? Would you do it? Or superior but, what if there had been a way for a student to study with a teacher that lived on the other side of the earth, without the aid of three grand, a two-week vacation and priceline.com?

A friend of mine pondered the exact same question a few years back and invited me to answer this quite question. This question was brought upon by our notoriety and good results and led me down a road I had in no way believed to takelet me step back for a moment

My notoriety as a vocal coach came out of nowhere in 2004 (roughly eight years soon after I began coaching), merely mainly because of my insatiab le thirst to help others learn the fine art of voice. I began teaching a lot more, decided to write a book, and began a web page and then things kind of took on a life of their own let's just say I began attracting a little bit of attention as time progressed. Inside two years of launching my web-site, I was an author of a number of books, and had produced a number of appearances on shows like Discovery Channel's MythBusters. Needless to say, this spread my notoriety significantly further than the little town that I live in.

Right after my initial Tv show and initial book had been released, I began to receive a great number of emails from singers around the globe, asking me question soon after questionI was happy to help, but there are just so a great number of hours in the day. I soon found I was essentially giving "cost-free" lessons via e-mail to an over-abundance of hungry learners. I have a soft heart and tried to keep up with each and every person's concer ns, but it was becoming overwhelming and I couldn't continue spending hours as a cost-free advice columnist. So I'd ask my hungry pen pals, "Why do not you just schedule a lesson with me?" Surprisingly adequate, most responded pleasantly, telling me they would love to have one-on-one lessons with me, but contemplating they lived hours or continents away, it just was in no way going to occur.

Positive, I've had singers fly in from around the globe from places such as Taiwan and France, but these had been a chosen few. And who can blame them. Flying is high priced! There had to be an additional way. So, just before I had even answered the question my comrade had presented, he answered it for me. He said "Ever heard of Skype?" I hadn't at the time, so he easily introduced me. Apparently Skype was a new cost-free on the net program that allowed you to speak with persons over the Net. You could even see them too! So, I signed up for my cost-free account, dug my web c am out of the closet, and proceeded to chat with him on the net in actual time via audio/video conferencing. WOW what a neat notion. He said "wouldn't it be neat to use this to teach voice on the net?" I agreed and was super excited about the entire prospectThirty-seven minutes later, we hung up, I ate lunch, and then I tossed the on the net conferencing notion in the "to-do" list in the back of my mind.

Fast-forward a year later. I figured my buddy was going to explode on the "on the net" scene, and though I wanted in on the action, I was honestly too lazy to pursue it. I'll admit, I am a late creeper with technologies, and this Skype thing kind of scared me. One day, I asked him, "How goes the on the net biz?" Turns out, he canned it too. In truth, he said, "Hey, can you help ME get it together? I really want to teach on the net". Sadly, I was the incorrect guy to ask for help. I guess we had been both just too skeptical about the entire "on the net teaching" thing. We had been both questioning the approach- "would it really perform, would somebody want to study by way of a virtual camera, would there be connection complications, latency, dropped calling, etc. So it seemed we both threw in the towel and had been waiting for the other to take the lead. Oh nicely, so significantly for that notion. But a funny thing happens when you are destined to accomplish a thing and give up on it. Things keep popping up in your life that lead you back on track

I had continued receiving emails from persons wanting their vocal' concerns answered, to which I replied, "book a lesson"Right soon after my conversation with my friend about our failed notion, I began receiving some unusual replies to my "book your session" answer, "Okay, I'll book a lesson. Do you teach on the net?" I kept saying no, but those exact same replies kept pouring in. So what did I do? I caved, I lied, and I said YES. I even don't forget the initial time I said y es. I was scared silly. Will it perform? Will they be happy with their on the net lesson? Too late to worry now, time to jump off the deep end.

So he booked a lesson, we setup a time, and we both signed into Skype and gave it a whirl. If I can sum up that initial lesson in one word, it would be "Freedom" I have found the freedom to teach anyplace and everywhere and anytime I pick out, all by applying a personal computer and web cam! I believe that initial lesson went on for about 90 minutes while I strictly told my client that it was a 45-minute session. Do not worry, I didn't charge him double, I supplied the extra time all mainly because I was so excited to use this new tool. (Hey but there are methods to charge by the minute, but that is one of my secrets. So significantly for a secret, I in no way use it, haha.) The lesson time flew by, I had a ball teaching, the student was thrilled, and since that time, we had at least a number of dozen lessons together. N o doubt about it I was hooked I had finally located a workable answer for all of my e-mail students:

"I live too far away".

"No situation, I teach on the net!"

A new era was born.

This was in 2007. Now the majority of my lessons are on the net. Why? The accessibility and ease of on the net lessons can't be beat. I do not have to leave my residence, and they do not have to leave theirs. Do on the net lessons perform? Hmmm, ask singers of bands like Dream Theater or Thriving Ivory. Both have studied with me via web cam and both have told the globe how it has helped.

Hear me now. On line instruction IS the wave of the future, while I know some of you are probably still not convinced. Heck, it took me over a year to come to be convinced. Consumers are still worried if on the net instruction is as wonderful as the actual thing. Properly, there is nothing as wonderful as the actual thing (in-individual) but this come s pretty darned close. I know concerns arise such as will you be able to see or hear the individual, and will there be any latency troubles (lag in time). The answer is Yes and No. Yes you could have audio/video/latency troubles, but if you have a high-speed connection, no matter whether it is a cable connection to your Computer/MAC or an air-card for your laptop, a decent web cam, microphone, and headset, then you should be wonderful to go. (Psst-I'd concentrate a lot more on the good quality of what is becoming taught as opposed to the technological side. But locating the appropriate coach is the subject of an additional post.)

Bottom line technologies is getting superior each and every day. Thanks to programs like Google Chat, you can jam live with your instructor in nearly seamless actual time. There are other programs besides Skype that perform nicely too such as MSN Messenger, Oovoo, Tokbox, etc. And with every passing day, the technologies gets superior a nd superior.

So if you are asking yourself if on the net lessons will perform for you, I've completed told you my answer- on the net instruction IS the wave of the future. In truth, I believe in it so significantly that I, along with a number of partners, have made an on the net teaching platform at rocksource360.com, where musicians can study guitar, bass, voice, keys, drums, etc. with actual rock stars. Each rock star we bring on board has come to me with the precise exact same concerns, and as soon as I show them how seamlessly on the net teaching works, they are hooked for life, just as I was. If you want to expand you music profession, you will need to invest in your self, so I urge you to uncover you an on the net coach and invest in your future!

Jaime Vendera

Author of "Raise Your Voice", "Mindset: programming Your Mind for Success" and

"On line Teaching Secrets Revealed"

jaimevendera.com

theultimatevocalworkout.com

rocksource360.com



hgh hormone
hcg side effects
how to increase metabolism


No comments:

Post a Comment